Salter Family Bible
The following transcription and notesprovided by Colin Salter who says
I have a typed transcription of the entries in the bible. The entries were all made around the start of the 19th century, and the transcription was made by my uncle as a young man in the 1940s. I don't know the present whereabouts of the bible. Those named in the entries all seem to be very close relatives of my ancestors, and perhaps of limited interest to anyone else, but in the interests of shared knowledge, perhaps your website would want to carry the transcription? The footnotes are mine. EKS is my great great aunt Emily Katherine Salter. The first-mentioned John Salter of Coles Hill is my 5 x great grandfather. I am very happy to enter into e-correspondence with anyone looking for or coming up with further information.
John Gurney Salter's transcription from the Salter Family Bible
A handwritten note at the head of the first page: "E.K.S. from J.G.S." and, added later "returned Jan. 1940"
A copy of the Inscription which is written inside the Salter Family Bible (at present at 23 Ladbroke Grove.)
N.B. All abbreviations are written out here in full.
- Stephen Salter son of John Salter of Coles hill near Ammersham Bucks born 5th November 1728. Died at Watford Herts 8th June 1807 and Buried in Family Vault in Watford Baptist Meeting House.
- John Salter son of the above Stephen Salter born at Oxhey Lodge May 4th 1756. Died 5th November 1812 aged 56 years. Buried in New Family Vault at Watford.
- Stephen Salter son of the above Stephen Salter born at Oxhey Lodge 21st November 1768.
- William Salter son of the above Stephen Salter born at Oxhey Lodge 29th March 1770.
- David Salter son of the above Stephen Salter born at Oxhey Lodge 26th November 1771.
- Samuel Salter son of the above Stephen Salter born at Oxhey Lodge 31st January 1773.
----- Lewin first wife of the above Stephen Salter and mother of the above John Salter died 8th May 1756.
----- above Stephen Salter son of Stephen Salter of Oxhey Lodge near Watford died August 10th 1794 in the 26th Year of his age.
- Sarah Groom, second wife of the above Stephen Salter of Oxhey Lodge and mother of Stephen, William, David and Samuel Salter died 5th January 1798 aged 64.
- Samuel Salter son of the above Stephen and Sarah Salter of Oxhey Lodge married 22nd May 1800 to Miss Sarah Davies of Chenies Bucks.
- Samuel Salter son of the above Samuel and Sarah Salter born at Watford 28th June 1802.
- Sarah Salter daughter of the above Samuel and Sarah Salter born 12th June 1804.
- Sophia Salter daughter of the above Samuel and Sarah Salter born 16th January 1807. Sophia Salter daughter of Samuel and Sarah Salter who was born 16th January 1807 died 8th May 1808 and was buried in the Family Vault at Watford Meeting House.
- Stephen Salter son of Samuel and Sarah Salter born at Watford 30th October 1809. Stephen Salter, son of Samuel and Sarah Salter who was Born 30th October 1809 Died January 7th 1811 and was buried in a new vault adjoining the Old Family Vault in the Meeting House at Watford Herts.
- Miss Martha Davis, sister of Mrs Sarah Salter the wife of Samuel Salter, Died January 15th 1811 aged 39 and was buried in the new vault adjoining the old family vault of the Salters.
- William Augustus Salter son of Samuel and Sarah Salter was born at Watford 22nd September 1812.
- William Salter of Norwood son of Stephen and Elizabeth Salter (as above) who was born 29th March 1770 Died at Norwood Surrey 26th June 1821 aged 51 years and was buried at Watford in the family vault.
- Mrs Sarah Salter wife of Samuel Salter of Denmark Hill Camberwell died 17th April 1832 aged 62 years and was buried in Samuel Salter's Family Vault at Watford Herts at the Baptist Chapel on 19th April 1832.
JGS then types a tree based on this information, with ink additions from "Aunt Emily's list" and "Gurney Book"
 Strikethrough added later by hand - the body of the text is typed.
 JGS notes "Owing to a portion of the margin being missing, I was unable to discover the first name of Mss Lewin who was the first wife of Stephen Salter, (the one who lived from 1728-1807); the same fault prevented me from obtaining the first word on the following line. In the first page of this transcript where this passage occurs I have signified both these ommissions by means of -----."
 JGS notes "The writer of one of the passages appears to have been mistaken when he or she states ". Stephen and Elizabeth Salter ." when previous entries show that Stephen and Sarah Salter is what is intended."
 This may refer to the short tree and note from EKS attached to JGS's transcript, which include the EKS additions to JGS' tree, namely the children of David and John Salter
 "Some Particulars of the Lives of William Brodie Gurney and his Immediate Ancestors" - JGS refers us to p122, which has a short tree of the Salter family
Bible is in possession of Colin Salter.
>Top of page
© 2006-2019 BFB
First published: 11th May 2006
Document URI: bfb.torrens.org/Bibles/Salter.html
Last modified: 2018